A Welcome and a Definition

Culture Vulture: "A person with a strong, sometimes obsessive, interest in the arts." Culture Vultures spend a lot of time observing the world. This is where those observations come out.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Epic Failures

I recently finished Aisha Tyler's Self-Inflicted Wounds. I was always a casual fan of hers, enjoying her stand-up specials and her stint on Talk Soup. However, I was not prepared for how much I'd enjoy this book. Basically, Tyler outlines many of her most awkward moments and failures in life, with such strange tales as the time she threw up on her high school crush to the time she wore a see-through dress on the red carpet. The best thing I like about the book is that she tells these stories without any sort of Oprah-esque hand-wringing. There's no "you can overcome whatever difficulties life throws at you" chapter that puts you to tears. She presents her stories matter-of-factly, and with a lot of humor at her various humiliations. It's inspirational without feeling like a Hallmark card or a Precious Moments figurine. My kind of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment