A Welcome and a Definition

Culture Vulture: "A person with a strong, sometimes obsessive, interest in the arts." Culture Vultures spend a lot of time observing the world. This is where those observations come out.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Hello

I have never really had a desire to be famous. It always seemed to me more of a hassle than anything else. Besides, every famous person is eventually forgotten. However, if I could be famous, the fame I want is actually one that doesn't really exist anymore.

The fame I would want is somewhat similar to writers' fame, but I guess it's more intellectual fame. Back before cable when there was little TV but many talk shows, writers would appear on TV and make witty observations about life, art and pop culture. The two best examples are also my heroes: Truman Capote and Gore Vidal. Their styles were definitely different: Capote tended to talk about whoever was in the news, often making snide comments. Vidal tended comment on numerous subjects, and would even discuss politics. Capote was more the bitchy gossip; Vidal, the haughty intellectual. It's pretty easy to find political debate on TV, but it's hard to find real cultural debate.

Don't get me wrong, this blog will not just be about theater events and whatever documentary was on PBS last night. I appreciate "low" culture as well, and that will be evident here. While I abhor the idea living on a diet of VH1 dating shows and American Idol, I find it equally weird that some people only enjoy the musings of the radio permanently set to NPR. I am definitely not a critic, but I may critique now and again. I hope you will enjoy reading this as much as I will enjoy writing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment